Click for pdf version: CV – updated June_2017
Assistant Professor • Department of Writing and Rhetoric • Oakland University
303 O’Dowd Hall • Rochester, MI 48309
email@example.com • @crystalvk • crystalvk.wordpress.com
Ph.D., English and Education (2014)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Dissertation: “Developing Meta-Awareness about Composition through New Media in the First-Year Writing Classroom,” winner of the Computers and Composition 2014 Hugh Burns Best Dissertation Award
Master of Arts, English Literature and Culture with a minor in Rhetoric and Composition (2004)
Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon.
Thesis: “Writing Against Convention: Kate Chopin’s Short Fiction in Vogue, 1893-1900”
Bachelor of Arts, English and Spanish Secondary Education (2002)
Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Research and Teaching Interests
composition studies • new media • digital rhetoric • first-year writing • multimodality • qualitative and audio-visual research methods • digital and new literacies • technical and professional communication • writing program administration • secondary English education
VanKooten, Crystal. “‘The video was what did it for me’: Developing Meta-Awareness about Composition across Media.” College English 79.1 (September 2016): 57-80. Print.
VanKooten, Crystal. “Methodologies and Methods for Research in Digital Rhetoric.” Enculturation: A Journal of Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture 23 (November 2016): n. pag. Web.
VanKooten, Crystal. “Singer, Writer: A Choric Exploration of Sound and Writing.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 21.1 (2016): n. pag. Web.
VanKooten, Crystal and Angela Berkley. “Messy Problem-Exploring through Video in First-Year Writing: Assessing What Counts.” Computers and Composition 40 (June 2016): 151-163. Print.
VanKooten, Crystal. “Identifying Components of Meta-Awareness about Composition: Toward a Theory and Methodology for Writing Studies.” Composition Forum 33 (2016): n. pag. Web.
VanKooten, Crystal. “Toward a Rhetorically Sensitive Assessment Model for New Media Composition.” Digital Writing Assessment and Evaluation. Dánielle Nicole DeVoss and Heidi A. McKee, Eds. Logan, UT: Computers and Composition Digital Press / Utah State University Press, 2013. Web. http://ccdigitalpress.org/dwae/09_vankooten.html
“A New Composition, a 21st Century Pedagogy, and the Rhetoric of Music.” Currents in Electronic Literacy, Spring 2011. Web. http://currents.dwrl.utexas.edu/2011/anewcomposition
VanKooten, Crystal. “Using Video Technologies to Teach for Writing Transfer.” E-Cornucopia Conference. Rochester, MI. 23 June 2017. Panel Presentation. Refereed.
VanKooten, Crystal. “Composing Wonder: Assessment, Reflection, and Technology as Documentation of Learning.” Computers and Writing Conference. Findlay, OH. 1-4 June 2017. Panel Presentation. Refereed.
VanKooten, Crystal, Felicia Chong, and Josie Walwema. “How OU Writes: Building a Culture that Values Writing Instruction.” University of Windsor-Oakland University International Teaching and Learning Conference. 3-4 May 2017. Windsor, ON. Poster Presentation. Refereed.
VanKooten, Crystal. “Video Pedagogy and Teaching for Transfer across Media.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Portland, OR. 15-18 March 2017. Panel presentation. Refereed.
VanKooten, Crystal. “From Old to New, from Traditional to Digital: Examining Difference and Inclusivity in Writing Courses.” International Writing Across the Curriculum Conference. Ann Arbor, MI. 23-26 June 2016. Panel presentation. Refereed.
Assistant Professor, Oakland University, Rochester, MI, 2014 – present
Composition I (WRT 150)
Composition II (WRT 160)
Digital Culture: Identity and Community (WRT 330)
Digital Storytelling (WRT 233)
Introduction to Writing for Digital Media (WRT 232)
Literacy, Technology, and Civic Engagement (WRT 394)
Graduate Student Instructor, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2009 – 2014
Writing and Academic Inquiry (Engl 125)
Academic Argumentation (Engl 225)
Professional Writing (Engl 229)
English and Spanish Teacher, Century High School, Hillsboro, OR, 2004 – 2009
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 2003 – 2004
Introduction to Composition (WR 121)
Latin American Literature (Eng 212), Teaching Assistant
African American Literature (Eng 221), Teaching Assistant
Online Writing Assistant, Chemeketa Community College, spring 2004
Writing Assistant, Oregon State University Writing Center, 2003
Awards, Honors, and Grants
- 2016-2017 CCCC Emergent Research/er Award. Conference on College Composition and Communication. $10,000. January 2017.
- Faculty Research Fellowship. University Research Committee, Oakland University. $10,000. December 2016.
- Computers and Composition Hugh Burns Best Dissertation Award for 2014, awarded May 2015
- Linda Pinder Fellowship, University of Michigan Joint Program in English and Education, winter 2014
- Graduate Student Travel Grant, Computers and Writing Conference, June 2013
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Dissertation Fellowship, winter 2013
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Humanities Fellowship, fall 2012
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Candidacy Research Grant, $3000, September 2012
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Precandidacy Research Grant, $1500, April 2012
- Graduate Student Travel Grant, Computers and Writing Conference, May 2012
- Graduate Student Travel Grant, Writing Program Administrators Conference, July 2011
- Outstanding Graduate Essay Award Nominee, Oregon State University English Department, fall 2002
- Member, Committee on the Major in Writing and Rhetoric (CMWR), Oakland University, 2014 – present
- Member, Writing and Rhetoric Major Ad-hoc Video Committee, Oakland University, 2014 – 2015
- Judge, OU Writing Excellence Awards
- Co-editor and co-organizer, Computers & Writing Conference Reviews, 2012 and 2013 http://www.digitalrhetoriccollaborative.org/conference-reviews/cw-reviews/
- Reviewer, Research in the Teaching of English, 2015 – present
- Reviewer, Teaching/Writing: The Journal of Writing Teacher Education, 2013-present
- Review Board Member, Kairos PraxisWiki, in Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 2015 – present